Fall is the best time to start having soups again for lunch. Gives you a little warm kick in the middle of that afternoon. Something to keep you going till dinner time.
This soup is extreamly low in fat and has 20% of your daily Vitamine C requirement and only 2 Weight Watchers points.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
By September 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 3/4 cup each (10 Servings)
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
- 1 1/2 pound butternut squash (1 small to medium)
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 stalks celery , chopped
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp chipotle chile ground
- 1/8 tsp cloves ground
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup Almond milk
- lemon freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt nonfat
- 2 tbsp chives snipped fresh
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut squash in half and seed. Place the halves on a baking sheet lined with parchment, cut-side down.
- Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Scoop out flesh when cool enough to handle.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the squash flesh, cumin, chipotle to taste and cloves. Add broth and almond milk and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender in batches until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt and sprinkle of chives (or parsley) and freshly squeezed lemon. Enjoy!