These “bread” sticks are a nice alternative to regular high carb/high calorie bread sticks and they are also gluten free! Serve them with a soup or as an appetizer. Try adding sesame seeds or poppy seeds as well.
They are low carb at only 3g net carbs and 4 Weight Watchers points.
Cheddar Sticks Recipe
By December 8, 2014Published:
- Yield: 2 sticks each (24 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tso xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp butter well chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
- 4 oz extra-sharp Cheddar shredded
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch, xanthan gum, garlic powder and salt. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Sprinkle butter over almond flour mixture and pulse until it resembles fine crumbs.
- With processor running on low, add water through feeding tube 1 tablespoon at a time until dough clumps together.
- Form into a flat disc and cover with plastic wrap. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll it between your palms into a cigar shape. Continue to roll gently on a piece of parchment or a silicon baking mat into a long thin stick, less than half an inch thick and 7 or 8 inches long (if it breaks at any point, you can easily press it back together).
Sprinkle with a few teaspoons of grated cheddar, gently pressing the cheese into the stick to adhere. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until firm and cheese is lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely to allow them to get crispy as they cool.