This dish freezes well so make a double batch for another quick meal.
At 15g of protein and only 4 Weight Watchers points it makes a great family meal that everyone will love.
Chicken Jambalaya Recipe
By October 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
Calories: 150 | Fat: 3g | Protein: 15g | Carbs: 15g | Fibre: 2g | WW Points: 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 lb chicken breast skinless, boneless, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 14.5 oz can whole plum tomatoes in juice
- 2 ribs celery , cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 scallion chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup basmati rice cooked
- 1 pinch each of salt and black pepper
- In a 3-quart pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until the onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the pieces are cooked through and lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, breaking them up with a spoon. Mix in the celery, bell peppers, scallion and tomato paste. Stir in the bay leaf, thyme, pepper flakes, cloves and hot sauce, if using. Bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Stir the precooked rice into the chicken mixture and heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot and enjoy!