This curry sauce is Probably the most tasty sauce I think I have made. I didn’t have a raw coconut on hand so I substituted it with unsweetened shredded coconut. Raw coconut will taste much better but the shredded coconut worked well in a pinch. This sauce is low carb, low fat, low cal and low Weight Watchers points. What could be better?
From: Russell James, the Raw Chef
Coconut Curry Sauce Recipe
By May 28, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
- 1 red pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp tamarind pulp*
- 1 cm ginger cube
- 1/2 cup coriander (cilantro) fresh
- 1 tbsp curry powder (Try to get curry powder without salt in it.)
- 1/2 cup coconut fresh, or unsweetened shredded
- 1/4 cup water
- salt to taste , depending on whether your curry powder had salt in it. Start with 1/4 teaspoon.
- Tamarind paste can be made by soaking tamarind in water until it goes soft (the seedless type you can buy in a packet in fine for this) and straining through a sieve. If you don’t have any tamarind available, simply leave out.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-power blender until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more water, depending on what type of coconut you used.
- Mix with the base of your curry, (chicken, fish, vegetables etc) with the sauce and heat through. Or if you prefer, warm the sauce in a small sauce pan and pour over base.