In a world of instant cereals, boxed cereals, breakfast sandwiches and muffins it is hard to believe that there are actually low carb high protein breakfasts that don’t involve innocuous mixture of flour, water and yeast. For someone eating low carb this mixture is anything but innocuous. The more baked goods we consume, the more some people may start finding you resemble the Pilsbury Dough Boy. Sure I love to visit the local boulangerie or coffee house from time to time. (more so for the wonderful coffee, @tampcoffeeco) but to start my day low carb, high protein yummies is what puts real fuel in my tank.
So we have covered this before, Sundays are my breakfast day. My day to provide a smash up meal and this one was a lovely one. Be sure to get large avocado (not too ripe, but not stone hard either) to accommodate the entire egg. I preferred this very simple with a dash of salt and pepper but I could also see placing a teaspoon of hot salsa in the avocado before cracking a smaller egg on top. A huevos rancheros take if you will.
If you prefer your eggs a little more runny adjust the cooking times accordingly.
This breakfast would make an ideal pre-workout meal. There is 17g protein and only 4.4g net carbs.
High Protein Egg and Avocado Bake Recipe
By March 24, 2015Published:
- Yield: 1 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
- 1 large avocado
- 2 large eggs
- pinch salt
- black pepper
- 1 tsp Basil coarsley chopped
- 1 tsp feta cheese crumbled
- Cut avocado in 1/2 and remove stone. Hollow out more of the flesh to accommodate the entire egg. Leave peel on.
- Sprinkle the fresh basil on raw egg.
- Place pan carefully in the oven as to not tip the avocado and spill the egg. Bake for 20 or until yolk is cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and carefully crack egg into hollow of avocado.
- Remove from oven, plate avocado and sprinkle with feta cheese and more salt and pepper. Enjoy!!!