Everyone loves stuffing but with the amount of bread in most stuffings it can be a carb nightmare. I found this delicious recipe and made it over to be diabetic friendly with all the flavour of regular stuffing. At 15.6g net carbs and 12 g protein per serving it makes a delicious addition to your turkey dinner.
Recipe adapted from 12tomatoes.com
High Protein Low Carb Mushroom Stuffing Recipe
By September 18, 2014Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
- 2 pkg high protein pitas or 10-12 cups dried bread crumbs
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted; additional 2 tablespoons, melted
- 4 cups mushrooms quartered
- 3 large onions diced
- 4 large celery stalks diced
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup sage leaves finely chopped fresh
- 2 stalks thyme leaves
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Rinse, pat dry and quarter the mushrooms. Heat the butter in a large pan and add mushrooms, onions, celery and garlic and cook until they are soft, stirring frequently.
- Add sage, thyme and nutritional yeast flakes to the vegetables and cook for a 3 minutes, then take off heat.
- Beat the eggs with the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.
- In a large bowl, combine the pita and egg mixture. Then add in the cooked vegetables and herbs.
- Pour into baking dish and drizzle with melted butter.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until top is browned. Some burned pieces are fine.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.