This high protein and high fibre salad is a nice side to any meal or on its own as a nice light lunch. Store the salad in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What is wheat berry you ask? Wheat berry refers to the entire wheat kernel (except for the hull), composed of the bran, germ, and endosperm. Wheat berries have a tan to reddish brown color and are available as either a hard or soft processed grain. For this recipe I used organic hard wheat berries. If wheat berries are milled, whole-wheat flour is produced. Wheat berries have high protein and fibre content.
Cooking wild rice can be a bit of a daunting task but with a little patients you can enjoy a perfectly cooked bowl every time. Wild rice (also called Canada rice, Indian rice, and water oats) is not directly related to Asian rice but they are close cousins. They are species of grasses and the grain is harvested from them. The grain was historically gathered and eaten in both North America and China. While it is now a delicacy in North America, the grain is eaten less in China. Wild rice grains have a chewy outer sheath with a tender inner grain that has a slightly vegetal taste.
High Protein Wild Rice and Wheat Berry Salad Recipe
By November 19, 2013Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 cup organic hard wheat berries
- 3 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cup water
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 cup orange pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese cubed
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar organic, raw unflitered, with mother
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 drops hot sauce (optional)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- To prepare the wheat berries and wild rice. Seperately rince both the wheat berries and wild rice in warm water and drain.
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil and add wheat berries. Reduce heat and cook over medium heat for one hour until tender. Drain and set aside.
- At the same time bring water to a boil and add wild rice. Reduce heat and boil gently for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the wheat berries and wild rice are cooking chop all vegetables and put in a large bowl.
- To make dressing combine vinegar, oil, minced garlic mustard hot sauce and yeast flakes. Whisk well.
- Once grains have cooled combine them with the vegetables and toss with dressing. Gently toss in cheese and serve.