This is one of our family favourites but as we all know the key to a happy family is compromise. So to please all I usually make 1/2 traditional potato and the other half low carb mashed cauliflower for the carb conscience.
You could also try mixed veggies or chopped spinach to add variety.
Low Carb, High Protein Shepherds Pie Recipe
By November 19, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 lb chicken gound (or meat of your choice, or gound tempeh if you want to go the vegetarian way)
- 1/2 cup salsa medium
- 1 cup frozen peas defrosted (or your choice of veggies)
- 1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened, or regular milk (more carbs in the cow's milk)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup cheddar sharp, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Fry meat till it is no longer pink. Mix in salsa and corn and pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Steam cauliflower till soft then mash adding milk and butter till smooth. (same consistency as mashed potatoes).
- Top meat mixture with mashed cauliflower and shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and hot.