This scalloped potato recipe was an instant hit. I used Lancashire White Cheese instead of the cheeses listed and it was great. Use any cheese that strikes your fancy. A great opportunity to try something new.
There are 19.6g net carbs, 6.1g protein and 9 Weight Watchers points per serving.
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Thyme Recipe
By June 18, 2015Published:
- Yield: 10-12 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
- 2 cups whipping cream 35%
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 -1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup Emmental , Gruyere or Fontina cheese grated
- In a small saucepan combine the cream, butter, and garlic. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Scrub the Russet potatoes and sweet potatoes and slice potatoes about 1/8 inch thick.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and boil potato slices for 5-7 minutes till slightly soft. Drain and set aside.
- Butter a 13x9x2-inch ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Place a layer of the Russet potatoes in the dish, followed by a layer of sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese. Pour cream mixture over gratin. Using a spatula, press gently to submerge potato mixture as much as possible.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- (180C) Cover tightly with foil. Bake 35 minutes. Uncover; bake until top is golden and most of liquid is absorbed, about 30 to 35 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.