I work at a school that is fortunate enough to have the OYAP (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) for becoming a chef. One of the EA’s involved in the program is generous enough to share her recipes with the program. I was looking for a vegetarian option for lunch and she surprised me with this little bowl of tantalizing flavours. It’s hearty and chock full of fibre and protein. It takes a little work to make but worth every moment. I guarantee this will become your favourite soup ever!
Vinita’s Black Lentil Soup Recipe
By January 16, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 8 hrs 15 mins
- Cook: 1 min
- Ready In: 8 hrs 16 mins
- 3/4 cups Urad Dal black matpe beans
- 1/4 cup red kidney beans rajmah
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inches gingerroot chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk fresh cream or milk if you prefer. Note: this will increase the carb count
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 extra large tomatoes chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- Soak whole black urad and rajma overnight in 3-4 cups of water.
- Cook the soaked dal and rajma in the same water with salt, red chili powder and half the chopped ginger till dal and rajma are cooked and soft.
- Peel and chop the onion, ginger and garlic finely. Also chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil and butter in a thick-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds, when it crackles add chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and chopped tomatoes. Saute till tomatoes are well mashed and fat starts to leave the masala. Add boiled dal and rajma to this.Do not add the liquid at first. Crush(mash) the dals with the back of the ladle while stirring continuously, this gives that creamy texture to the dal .
- Add the liquid and some water if required and simmer on very low heat for fifteen minutes.
- Add fresh cream or milk and garam masala powder let it simmer for another five minutes. Finish off with a couple of pinch of Kasoori methi powdered.
- Serve hot with Naan or Rice.
- Tip: Replacing the tomatoes with 4 tablespoons of thick tomato paste will enhance the taste and colour of the dish.