This breakfast can be served as a tapas or as an entr
Zucchini and Onion Frittata Recipe
By April 29, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
Calories: 59 | Fat: 8.6g | Protein: 10g | Carbs: 4.6g | Fibre: 1g | WW Points: 4
- cooking spray preferably olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- 8 oz Zucchini cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper ground
- 1/4 cup Basil fresh, cut cross-wise into thin slices
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Coat pan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Saute onion until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until onion is lightly browned. Transfer contents of pan to plate to cool.
- Coat pan again with cooking spray and return to heat. Add zucchini and cook until translucent. Using tongs, keep spreading and turning zucchini to brown slices on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes, adding to onion mixture as zucchini slices brown (cook until zucchini slices are no longer wet). Wipe out the pan.
- In mixing bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites until well combined. Mix in Parmesan cheese, salt and black pepper. Add vegetables and basil, and mix with fork to combine with eggs.
- Add oil to frittata or saute pan and tilt oil around sides of pan. Set pan over medium-high heat. Pour in egg mixture, spreading zucchini and onion in an even layer. As eggs start to set, use wide spatula to lift frittata around edges while tilting pan slightly so liquid egg flows out and under the edges. Cook until frittata is browned on bottom and set except in center, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, place a large plate upside down over pan. Pressing it firmly in place against the pan, flip so frittata falls from pan onto plate. Slide frittata back into pan and cook to lightly brown bottom, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Slide frittata onto serving plate.
- Serve immediately, or cool frittata to room temperature before serving. This frittata can also be covered and refrigerated overnight.