Cauliflower is a great substitution for potatoes and rice! You can use it to replace the topping on a Shepherds Pie, roasted in the oven, in place of rice in a stir fry and in this case a delicious creamy soup that everyone will devour!
This soup is ready in about 30 minutes and if you don’t finish it the first day makes great left overs or freezes well. You can make your life even easier if you buy pre-riced cauliflower from the freezer section and shredded cheese. Personally I don’t find ricing cauliflower a difficult process, just pop it in your food processor and rice away! Also, I would highly recommend that you shred your own cheese. Sure buying shredded cheese saves a little time but there is an anti-caking agent in it that can cause the cheese not to melt as well and can give a bit of a gritty texture.
I chose to make this soup with chicken stock but if you would like to make a vegetarian version replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock instead. If you want to go that one step further and make it vegan substitute the dairy with unsweetened almond milk or other milk alternative like cashew or soy.
Low Carb Creamy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
By April 14, 2020Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 35 mins
Cauliflower is a great substitution for potatoes and rice! You can use it to replace the topping on a Shepherds Pie, roasted in the …
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 large cauliflower riced
- 2 tbsp water
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock if you prefer
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- pinch salt to taste
- pinch pepper to taste
- dash hot sauce optional
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add garlic and onion and cook until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and water. Cover and steam until tender, stirring occasionally for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower is tender, add the stock along with the milk and heavy cream. Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat back down and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the cheddar stirring until smooth.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot, topped with extra cheese or hot sauce. Enjoy!