Each week during this pandemic I am trying to make as much food as I can from scratch. For one, I have all the time in the world and second, I can control the ingredients that goes into each meal. We all know that canned soups are full of sodium and other things that we can’t pronounce. Time to skip past all that to the fresh produce isle and start getting back to basics.
I make this in my large crock pot and usually double the recipe. I keep a few days of single serving sizes in the fridge ready to be reheated on the stove top. The rest gets put into more single serving containers and into the freezer for the following weeks. I do this with all my soups so eventually we have a nice selection of soups! Just take them out the night before, defrost in the fridge and reheat on the stove till piping hot!
Its a hearty soup with lots of chunks of veggies and good quality stewing beef. I try to use a low sodium beef broth as I find most commercially made broths are loaded with salt. I prefer to control the amount of salt added and add more seasoning instead.
Low Carb Crock Pot Beef and Veggie Soup Recipe
By April 7, 2020Published:
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 6 mins
- Ready In: 36 mins
Each week during this pandemic I am trying to make as much food as I can from scratch. For one, I have all the time in the world …
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 pounds stewing beef cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 cups beef broth preferably low sodium
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1/3 cup green beans cut in half
- 3 stocks celery chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots diced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 lbs tomatoes diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp rosemary dried
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add beef cubes and season lightly with salt and pepper. Brown each side of the beef cubes but don't allow the meat to cook through. When outside is brown, transfer beef to the crock pot.
- Reheat the skillet to medium low. Add vinegar and stir, scraping up brown bits, until vinegar has thickened. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the broth and continue to scrape up any browned bits. Transfer liquid to the crock pot.
- Add remaining broth, onion, green beans, celery, carrots, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, garlic rosemary, thyme and pepper to the crock pot and stir gently.
- Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 to 8 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.