This recipe is a staple around our house. It is easy to make and a nice alternative to rolling cabbage rolls. It can be made a ahead of time and put in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. It has a high protein count and you could substitute tempeh or diced portabellos if you would prefer a vegetarian option. Serve with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It also makes a great left over or lunch the next day.
High Protein Cabbage Roll Casserole Recipe
By November 19, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 mins
Calories: 344 | Fat: 17.4g | Protein: 24.3g | Carbs: 23.1g | Fibre: 2.5g | WW Points: 9
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 can water
- 1/2 can basmati rice uncooked
- 4 cups cabbage shredded
- Brown beef, onions, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil and stir in rice.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of the cabbage in a greased baking dish: cover with 1/2 the rice mixture.
- Repeat layers . Cover and bake in 350 deg oven for one hour.
- Serve hot with sour cream.