There’s no monkeying around with this spicy little dish. There is a lot of chopping and prep time but the final product is well worth it. Remove seeds from chiles and peppers if less heat is desired. Serve this meat over hot rice or with tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, etc. If fresh tomatoes are not in season, a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes may be substituted. Low carb, high protein, Weight Watchers friendly dish.
Monkey Meat Recipe
By November 12, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 3 hrs 30 mins
- Ready In: 4 hrs 0 min
Calories: 284 | Fat: 6.1 g | Protein: 43.8 g | Carbs: 11.9 g | Fibre: 2.2 g | WW Points: 7
- 4 lb tip roast tip roast
- 3 tsp salt divided
- 3/4 tsp black pepper ground, divided
- 3 tblsp chili powder divided
- 3 tblsp cumin ground, divided
- 1/3 cup olive oil divided
- 2 large onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 anaheim chile peppers chopped
- 1 poblano chile pepper chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 whole red chile pepper seeded and chopped (or 1 tsp dried chile flakes)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- Trim the beef roast of excess fat and tissue, and cut into 4 or 5 large chunks. In a cup or small bowl, mix together 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, and 1 tablespoon of ground cumin. Rub this mixture into the meat, and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoon of olive oil in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on all sides. Remove meat from the pan, and pour in the remaining olive oil. Reduce heat to medium, and add onions, garlic, Anaheim peppers, poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers, green pepper, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes to release the flavors.
- Add roma tomatoes to the pan, and season with remaining chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, as well as the dried chile pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Put the meat to the crock pot, and stir in the beef broth. Pour tomato and vegetable mixture over meat. Turn to low heat for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until meat is very tender. Turn to high for the last 1/2 hour or cooking Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Remove meat from the pot, shred, and return to the pot. Reheat if necessary before serving.