This soup is absolutely delicious. You can choose to puree only half if you prefer it chunkier or puree the entire contents for a creamier soup. Prepare all the ingredients the night before then throw it all in the crock pot before leaving for work.
At 19.8g of net carbs and only 3 Weight Watchers points, this is a great low fat high protein bowl of yummyness. Pair it with a high protein pita stuffed wit your favourite fresh veggies. If there is any left it also makes a great lunch or add more veggies and some spinach and use it as a pasta sauce.
Red Lentil and Chickpea Crock Pot Soup Recipe
By April 2, 2014Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs 0 min
- Ready In: 8 hrs 15 mins
- 1 large onion diced small
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp Vege-Sal (or use 1/2 tsp. salt)
- black pepper fresh ground, to taste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cans tomatoes petite dice, with juice (14.5 oz. can)
- Tofutti sour supreme or regular sour cream/plain yogurt for serving, optional
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and saute the diced onion until it's soft and starting to brown lightly, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, dried thyme, Vege-Sal, and black pepper and saute 2-3 minutes more, or until spices are fragrant.
- Add onion-spice mixture to CrockPot, then rinse out the frying pan with 1 cup of the stock and add to crockpot along with red lentils, rinsed chickpeas, and rest of stock. Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until lentils are starting to soften and dissolve into the soup. (I cooked mine for 31/2 hours. Cooking time will depend partly on how old the lentils are.)
- When lentils are starting to soften, add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes with juice. Cook for 2-3 hours more on high, or until the lentils and chickpeas are both quite soft. Then remove about 1/2 the soup to a bowl (or the large 8-cup measuring cup I had worked perfectly.) Puree the soup you removed using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender. (If you're using a food processor or blender, be very careful with the hot soup, pureeing in batches if necessary.)
- Stir the pureed soup back into the soup in the CrockPot; taste and add more salt or fresh ground black pepper if desired. Let soup cook about 20 minutes more, then serve hot, with sour cream of plain yogurt if desired.