These little bars are a nice pick me up after a workout or when you need a little snack to tie you over till dinner. It has 25 net carbs per large cut square. Popping the Amaranth is super easy. Pop 1 tablespoon at a time in a very hot pan. It only take 3-5 seconds to pop so keep an eye on it so it will not burn. If you like quinoa or mullet feel free to substitute 1/2 the amaranth with them. Mullet is a little tricky to pop but will give a nice texture.
For a little variety add different dried fruits and nuts or seeds. Enjoy!
Amaranth Blueberry Pecan Snack Bars Recipe
By April 7, 2014Published:
- Yield: 16 squares
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 7 mins
- Ready In: 22 mins
Calories: 210 | Fat: 9.6g | Protein: 4.2g | Carbs: 29.5g | Fibre: 4.5g | WW Points: 6
- 1 cup oats old-fashioned, large flake
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups Amaranth puffed (6tbsp un-popped)
- 1/2 cup Blueberries dried
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Grease an 8 inch square cake pan and line it with parchment. Also line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 350 and evenly spread oats, pecans and chia seeds on prepared baking sheet. Toast in oven for 5-6 minutes or until fragrant. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine amaranth puffs and dried blueberries and nutritional yeast flakes. Add mixture of toasted oats, pecans and chia seeds. Stir and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, agave, maple syrup, vegan butter and salt. Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved completely, about 4-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour syrup mixture over puff mixture. Stir until blended. Press into pan with a spatula. Place an additional piece of parchment over top and press firmly using hands.
- Chill the pan for 2 hours then lift and remove from pan and cut into 16 squares. Best served cold.
- Keep bars refrigerated. Seperate by wax paper or parchment in a container for up to 10 days.