With winter in full swing, hot comfort foods are definitely a go to to keep your belly full. This recipe can be made in either the oven on a Sunday afternoon or throw it in a crock pot for a quick “ready-when-you-are” week day meal. Its high in protein and flavour. Enjoy!
Switch It Up
Chili Braised Brisket
Replace pork with 4 lb (2 kg) beef brisket. Omit browning. Place brisket in roasting pan; pour sauce over top, turning to coat. Cover and braise in 325
Chili Pulled Pork Recipe
By January 7, 2014Published:
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 3 hrs 30 mins
- Ready In: 3 hrs 35 mins
Calories: 628 | Fat: 39g | Protein: 41g | Carbs: 30g | Fibre: 4g | WW Points: 17
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 lb pork shoulder boneless
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes strained (passata)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup fancy molasses
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 oz chocolate unsweetened, chopped
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium- high heat. Sprinkle pork with 1 tsp (5 mL) of the salt; brown pork all over. Remove to plate. Drain all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) fat from pan.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, vinegar, chili powder, molasses, brown sugar,oregano, cumin, coriander, pepper and remaining salt; bring to boil, scraping up brown bits. Stir in chocolate until melted.
- Return pork and any accumulated juices to pan; bring to boil. Cover and braise in 300F (150C) oven, turning once, until tender, about 3 hours.
- Transfer pork to large bowl and tent with foil; let stand for 15 minutes. With forks, shred or “pull” pork, discarding skin and fat.
- Skim fat from sauce. Return pork to sauce. Heat until bubbling.