This dish is super easy to make but just a little time consuming due to cooking times but don’t let that scare you away. It makes a beautiful Sunday evening meatless meal, especially in the fall when the squash are in season and at their best. I was able to pick up a lovely lemon yellow spaghetti squash this weekend at my local market and the flesh was thick and very tasty. I also put aside some of the seeds to dry out so I can plant them in the spring. Considering that the meal is cooked and served in its own bowl clean up is a cinch.
Spaghetti or Winter squash has many health benefits such as:
- a wide range of vitamins and minerals
- low in fat, calories and carbs
- High fibre
- Aids weight loss
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease
- Lowers cholesterol
- Helps regulate blood sugar
13.6g net carbs, 19.3g protein and 15 Weight Watchers points per prepared half.
Egg and Avocado Spaghetti Squash Bowls Recipe
By October 2, 2015Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
- 1 medium Spaghetti Squash
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 6 tbsp salsa , divided
- 1 large avocado chopped & divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out.
- Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- In the mean time heat oil in a small frying pan and saute the onion and garlic till translucent but not brown.
- Using a fork, separate spaghetti squash into strands leaving them inside the shells.
- Add 3 tbsp of salsa and half the parmesan to each half and mix gently with a fork.
- Top with 1/2 avocado and break 1 egg on top of each shell.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly over each half and bake for 20 - 22 minutes or until the egg whites appear to be set.