Mango, chicken and curry seem to be the ultimate pairing. I used the Alphonso Mango which is a seasonal fruit considered to be among the most superior varieties of the fruit in terms of sweetness, richness and flavour. Alphonso’s voluptuous shape and sunshine-yellow skin reveals succulent saffron-coloured flesh that’s smooth and buttery: imagine a cross between peach, nectarine, apricot and melon with notes of honey and citrus.
Alphonso is named after Afonso de Albuquerque, a nobleman and military expert who helped establish the Portuguese colony in India. It was the Portuguese who introduced grafting on mango trees to produce extraordinary varieties like Alphonso. The fruit was then introduced to the Konkan region in Maharashtra, Gujarat and parts of south India.
Mango Chicken Salad Recipe
By June 8, 2015Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
- 1/2 cup coconut sweetened shredded
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt plain low-fat
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped fresh
- 2 tbsp lime juice fresh
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt to taste
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 chicken grilled, cooked chicken breast, about 4 cups
- 1 mango peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, chutney, mustard, turmeric, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and mango toss to coat. Serve on spinach, sprinkled with coconut.