As a kid I always remember my mom making hearty soups in her big heavy pressure cooker. The thing would whistle away as the aroma fills the house. I received a pressure cooker for Christmas this year from my dad. Although it takes a little getting used to it really saves a lot of time. It does freak the dog out a bit but she recovers quite nicely once I give her a little blob of what I am cooking.
Pressure Cooker Red Lentil Split Pea Soup Recipe
By March 31, 2015Published:
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup split peas
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- dash salt to taste
- dash black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice or to taste
- Rinse the lentils and split peas under warm water.
- Place the lentils, split peas, onion, carrots, garlic, nutritional yeast flakes and cumin into a pressure cooker, and stir in the broth.
- Seal the cooker, bring to pressure over medium heat, and reduce heat to keep the pressure stable; cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and allow pressure to subside.
- When the cooker is at normal pressure, remove the cover, season with salt and pepper and stir in lemon juice to serve.