This protein packed refreshing summer salad is packed with crunchy vegetables pleasing to both the eye and the palate. A perfect addition to any bbq. I used black kale (aka dinosaur kale) as it is less bitter than regular green kale.
Protein Powered Kale and Sweet Corn Salad Recipe
By November 15, 2013Published:
- Yield: 10 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
- Ready In: 20 mins
Calories: 111 | Fat: 4.9g | Protein: 5.4g | Carbs: 13.7g | Fibre: 3.7g | WW Points: 3
- 2 ears of summer corn
- 4-6 cups kale washed and finely chopped (remove thick stems)
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- 1 small white onion or sweet, chopped
- 1/4 cup red cabbage chopped
- 1/3 cup raw organic hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp tamari
- 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (seasoned rice vinegar, lemon juice or unseasoned rice vinegar can also be used)
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- Boil water in a large pot. When water is boiling, drop corn and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the color darkens a bit. (You can cook shorter or simply serve corn raw if you'd like.) Pull corn from pot and set aside to cook a bit.
- In a large salad tossing bowl, add all the dressing ingredients (including spices) and with a spoon start whipping until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Prep your veggies. Wash/dry kale and remove tough stems. Chop finely. Also finely chop the flat leaf parsley. Chop onion and bell pepper. Chop cabbage and carrots (if adding). Add all prepped veggies to large salad bowl with the dressing in it.
- Toss the veggies with the dressing very well. Toss for a few minutes until the veggies have absorbed much dressing and the kale has wilted down a bit. (If you'd like to add more or different veggies, go for it.)
- Grab your corn and carefully slice off the kernels and add directly to the salad bowl. I usually use a bread knife and hold the corn cob carefully with a paper towel so it doesn't slip. Add both cobs - about 1 1/2 cups of kernels.
- Toss the warm corn with the salad. This will further wilt and marinate the veggies.
- Add in the hemp seeds and toss.
- Do a taste test. You can alter the flavor if desired. Add more rice vinegar for a wetter, tangier flavor, more oil for a richer texture or more miso, tamari or table salt for more salt. You can also add more veggies if the dressing as is is too strong for you. Just add in another handful of chopped kale or other veggies and toss.
- Serve right away (slightly warm) or allow to marinate and chill in the fridge for up to 8 hours. If storing in the fridge over 8 hours you may want to add dressing later and just set prepped veggies in the fridge covered.
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Course: Easy
- Skill Level: Easy