This summer salad has everything one would need for a perfect summer salad. Plump red strawberries and BBQ’d chicken combined on the same plate. It’s low carb, gluten-free, and packed with protein but its a perfect combination of sweet and savory.
I used shredded cheddar but feel free to use crumbled goat cheese or try sprinkling nutritional yeast flakes on top for a nutty, parmesan like, dairy free finish. Nutritional yeast flakes also have 8g of protein per 1/4 cup serving.
Strawberries are a nutrient rich superfood packed with antioxidants. They are packed with vitamin C which is a good thing as humans are the only mammals that don’t produce their own. One serving of strawberries contains 51.5 mg of vitamin C—about half of your daily requirement which is vital to the production of collagen, which helps to improve skin’s elasticity and resilience. They also help to reduce inflammation of the joints and contain 134 mg per serving of Potassium which is another heart healthy nutrient. Strawberries are naturally low calorie (around 28 kCal per serving), fat-free and low in both sodium and sugar.
I planted strawberries in my garden this year and have had a few little berries but I am hoping for more of a harvest next year once the plant has established it’s self. In the mean time the strawberries we but at the grocery store are reasonably priced and locally grown.
Chicken and Strawberry Salad Recipe
By July 11, 2017Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
- 8 cups spring mixture
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup cheese grated
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 4 chicken breasts Skinless, boneless
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup strawberries chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Season both sides of the chicken with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat BBQ and grill chicken for 5-10 minutes per side or until chicken is slightly to crisp/brown on both sides and cooked through .
- Cool chicken slightly then slice into small pieces.
- Toss chicken and remaining salad ingredients together.
- Using a blender, puree strawberries then combine with other ingredients. Blend all dressing ingredients until combined.
- Plate salad and pour dressing over salad and serve while chicken is still warm. Enjoy!