Traditional pizza dough is so full of carbs that it could make your blood sugar spike just looking at it! (well not really but you know what I mean) Consider this recipe for a yummy crust and pizza alternative, high in protein and low in fat, a blank canvas of sorts. Experiment with different veggie and meat toppings or just add a handful of cheese and bake. Your pizza, your call.
To start you off for toppings allow me to present you with the Margarita Pizza. a simple yet complex combination of flavours. Fresh basil and thinly sliced tomatoes make this a vegetarian delight.
Margarita Pizza on a Low Carb Cauliflower Crust Recipe
By November 18, 2013Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 3 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 33 mins
Calories: 342 | Fat: 25g | Protein: 10.2g | Carbs: 13.8g | Fibre: 5.6g | WW Points: 8
- 1 small cauliflower florets only
- 1/4 cup almond flour (or other fine flour to bind into a dough)
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp chili powder or garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup parmasean
- 1/4 cup mozzarella
- 1 tbsp chia seeds to thicken
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Basil fresh, chopped
- 3/4 cup mozarella grated
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Cut the cauliflower in to florets (you don't need the stems) Steam cauliflower for 8 minutes (or until soft but still a little crunchy and not cooked through) then pulse in your food processor for about 30 seconds, until you get a powdery snow-like texture
- Meanwhile mix chia seeds with 1 tbsp of water and set aside till chia expands.
- Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap in a dish towel and press out any excess water.
- Dump cauliflower in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well using your hands.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes until it turns golden brown and remove from oven.
- Line a pizza stone or baking sheet with oiled parchment.
- Place dough in the centre of the parchment and using your hands pat down making sure not to leave it too thick or too thin.
- Allow the crust to cool for a minute or two then add your toppings and cook for another 5-7 minutes until toppings are piping hot.
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Course: Easy
- Skill Level: Easy