A gratifying dish for chilly months. It offers fresh and lively flavours of a salad, but the comforts of a moe substantial meal. When roasting the carrots and shallots keep an eye on the nuts that they don’t scorch.
This warm hearted salad is high in protein and fibre. A stick to your ribs kind of dish.
Winter Salad Recipe
By December 28, 2013Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 6 shallots halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup prunes pitted and halved
- 1 cup wheatberry
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 small bunch parsley chopped
- 6 oz goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg. Halve or thickly slice the carrots, depending on their size and toss with the shallots, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Spread out on a baking tray and roast for about 25 minutes until caramelized and soft. Add the walnuts and prunes to the tray, sprinkle them evenly over the veg and return to the oven to toast for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover the wheatberry with 2 cups of cold water in a sauce pan. Add a generaous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to heat, leaving the wheatberry to simmer for 25 minutes.
- When done, drain off any remaining water, then cover the pan and set the wheatberry aside.
- Make the dressing by whisking the remaining olive oil, vinegar, crushed garlic and mustard together with a little salt and pepper. It should be slightly sharp to counter the sweet carrots and prunes. Combine the wheatberry, roasted carrot mixture, half the parsley and half the dressing in a serving bowl.
- Crumble the cheese over the wheatberry and vegetables, drizzle with the remaining dressing and scatter with the rest of the parsley.