Most commercial barbecue sauces are loaded with sugar. (16-30 grams per quarter cup, even as high as 44 grams!) It doesn’t have to be that way. This one has a secret ingredient – diet cola. It’s best to use one sweetened with Splenda, but any will do (aspartame tends to lose its sweetness when heated for long periods). I am not usually a fan of soft drinks but one serving is a mere 3.5 carbs per 1/4 cup. Now you can go sugarless with out tasting sugarless. Oh and did I mention it has bacon? Mmmmmm bacon!
Sugarless BBQ Sauce Recipe
By November 16, 2013Published:
- Yield: 2 cups
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
- 2 strips bacon thick, chopped fine (or see note)
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 can diet cola Splenda-sweetened preferred
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- hot sauce to taste
- Fry the bacon in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook over medium until soft - 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and stir it for half a minute or so.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about half a cup of water. Stir well.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Cook it down a bit and flavors will combine.
- Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want - you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it's too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down.)
- If you prefer to leave the bacon out, add 1-3 teaspoons of liquid smoke to taste near the end of the cooking. Alternatively, add some smoky flavor using 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.